Nov 20, 2007

Living in the Amazon.com

I was watching PBS last night, Charlie Rose, and Jeff Bezos was on. Amazon just released the AmazonKindle, a digital reader. I am always impressed with Bezos and how he presents his products in a rolled up sleeve fashion. Not only is he completely lucid in his predictions, he seems genuinely lost in the forest of the Amazon.com jungle of new products, yet able to maintain a a lifeguard's perch on the company's visions of the digital future.

I love the Kindle idea. I'm becoming a person who likes to carry less and less with me - I recently bought an iPhone and my iPod rarely leaves the car now and my lap top is usually on house arrest - so the idea of taking many books, articles, etc with me on the road is an amazing prospect. Bezos claims all information is destined to be digital, I agree. But my question is... if we are destined for a paperless environment, what's going to happen to all the forests 500 years from now? Obviously, digital toilet paper is on the horizon, but seriously... I would love to be a fly on the way hundreds of years from now when EVERYTHING is made of wood again because these damn trees are EVERYWHERE.

George Washington's teeth would be proud.

No comments: