Nov 9, 2007

Booty Call

I was in Sactown today. News Station 10, out there, has a live morning show that follows Good Morning America (I believe?) and one of our clients, a developer, has been sending the VP of Sales out to pitch their condos in the Sacramento Valley. He's a good guy. 25 and Special Ed - got it made.
Anyway, I get to the studio to meet the VP there. We're in the green room shooting the shit about nothing in particular and I hear... loud celebrity banter in the hallway. Let me preface: I have not been around a lot of celebs, and even when I am, generally I don't approach them for autographs or photos. I figure there are two types of celebs - those that want to be left alone, and those that make a spectacle, thus inviting the attention (usually promoting something). Ok, three if you count those that are habitual line steppers, repeatedly busted for snorting cocaine off the airfoil of their Porsche and inflict collateral damage to a vehicle with an umbrella... in Los Angeles...with an umbrella. I will tell you here and now - this guy doesn't have an umbrella. He's come to the morning show because he's performing at a local comedy club (clue number two) and being interviewed to plug the show.
The Celeb comes in and immediately takes the time to say hello to everyone, though never introducing himself to the four people in the green room. Only the VP and I are of the age group to know who The Celeb is - MTV generation (final clue). The Celeb starts asking why my client is on the show, condos, how much, where... Jesus, I think, are we going to get a sale right here? I begin to feel a public relations hard on emerging. Dear Lord, the Celeb buys condo from my client, photo op, front page, ding, ding, ding, ding! But then, as it appears the Celeb is just chatty, I lose blood flow. Must say that Celeb is very engaging and actually quite nice.
The Celeb is obviously part of a well oiled schedule, because he is not in the green room more than 2 minutes before he's on the air. The Celeb is a pro and his interview turns to a movie he made some years back. Not a great movie, but the Celeb created a catch phrase, from which the movie got is title, back in the day. The interplay with the hosts is great, the movie banter leads to banter about what the movie means and before you know, the Celeb has every woman in the building bantering on this lap. The Celeb is laughing and having a very jovial time as they exit to commercial. Brilliant. The Celeb is a bona fide pimp.
I won't bore you with how the VP's segment went, because only Burt Reynolds, early 1970's style nudity would be more entertaining, but it went well. I remain in the green room. I hear the Celeb coming up the hall, still being followed by his impromptu harem. Quickly, I pop up and duck my head out the door and say, "Hey, Bill. Great segment. Best of luck with the shows. And, would it be ok if I got a pic with you?" The Celeb is accommodating. Ladies and gents, give it up for a hell of a guy and coiner of the term 'booty call', Bill Bellamy.

No comments: