Dec 9, 2007

One week without a car

I'm a BMW owner. I love my 3 series. I bought it used a few years ago. It's a 2000 with 80k on it and it runs like Carl Lewis. I purchased this vehicle because I wanted something that would run deep into the ODO, go fast, have top notch fit and finish and not be a Honda. I own the car, so at this point the only payments I make on it are to the mechanic for routine maintenance. Well, the old bird came down with a cracked radiator, so I shuffled her on over to AutoMotion. I'm plugging these guys because they kick serious ass. They do everything the local BMW dealer does except they do it from the front, where I can plainly see if I might be getting... expletive omitted.

Anyway, I take the car is last week. I had to leave for business to Scottsdale Sunday, so I dumped the rig off in hopes that it would good to go when I got back. It wasn't. The shop has had a comedy of errors trying to get the correct part - bla bla - cool thing is they eventually had to nix the after market and go with factory parts. Generally, this means I pay more, but because they have taken an extraordinary amount of time, they ate the cost. Nice of them. But this isn't the point of the story.

I was just doing some laundry and thought to myself how it really hasn't bothered my not having a car for a week. Sure, it's a pain in the ass, but I've been able to do everything I needed to do. Now, a few months back I broke my smart phone and I almost lost my mind. It's just very interesting to me that, given the choice, I would almost rather forgo transportation in favor of my means of communication. And that is b.s. What the hell good are all these forms of communication good for it there's nothing to talk about?

When the car comes back home, I'm going to make a pact with her: we're going to travel more next year. More trips to the bay, national parks, Vegas, Oregon... hell, might even go see my man Kevin in Phx. Who knows how many miles are left on her. She should see some good road before she goes. I can survive without my phone, I can't survive not having an adventure to call about.

1 comment:

Me said...

This was before gas prices hit $4+. So, fuck the car.